Thursday, July 21, 2011

Teaching Intervals

Something I do with my beginner students is give them a little exercise to do each week that is pattern based (so it doesn't require sight reading) and teaches both technique and theory. One of my favorite ones is teaching intervals using the left hand since so many songs can be played with just a few intervals in the left hand (a lot of songs from the Faber lesson book are based on this). I have them play a "C", then a 2nd (C & D), then a 3rd (C & E), then a fourth (C & F), then a 5th (C&G) and then back down again (5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, "C"). I simply have them practice that little pattern 3 to 5 times each day with each hand separately, and eventually, hands together.

Within the same lesson I try and present a song that has an interval in it and we discuss which interval it is to reinforce the idea. "Do As I'm Doing" is a pretty popular one. Enjoy!

No comments: